This information was gathered and posted so my customers and clients are better informed when purchasing products that contain mugwort. The following information is not exclusive. Every purchase of a product that contains mugwort is sent a pamphlet with this information, current research, safety tips and tricks, and instructions. Please use with caution and at your own risk.
Do NOT use any mugwort product if pregnant and/or breastfeeding. Mugwort is an abortive and may cause miscarriage. It has also been known to cause the uterus to contract and cause menstruation.
Mugwort is also an allergen. If you are allergic to ragweed, marigolds, daisies, chamomile, and other members of the Asteraceae and Compositae families, do not take mugwort. If you are allergic to celery, carrot, birch, tobacco, sunflower, cabbage, grass, hazelnut, olive, mustard, sweet bell pepper, kiwi, peach, mango, apple, or royal jelly, you should also avoid mugwort. This is similarly true for cinnamon, clove honey, and nutmeg which are also ingredients in this salve.
Do not take with together with acetylsalicylic acid, anticoagulant medications, anti-platelet medications, or anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen. It is suggested that one should refrain from taking flying salves while on hormonal birth control, although there is currently little information available on this subject.
Long term and consistent usage of mugwort has been known to cause damage with the nervous system. Regular daily use of large amounts of mugwort will increase these risks.
All of the above said, my products do not contain enough of any of the plant ingredients to be worth concern to most. There have been no reported cases of any of the above symptoms by users of any of my products.
Mugwort is known to cause “mugwort hangovers” after usage. This is not unusual and should not be a cause for concern. Drink plenty of fluids and eat heartily.
If you experience nausea, vomiting, respiratory problems such as wheezing or shortness of breath, skin allergic reactions such as rash or hives, cease usage immediately, wash the applied area and drink fluids. Call your health care provider, emergency services, or your Poison Control Center. In the United States the number is 1-800-222-1222.