There’s so many spells you can do at the beginning of a new year. So many. Cleansing, healing, protection, wish granting, prosperity, so on, and so on. This spell starts during the new year and goes all year long.
The purpose of this spell is simple. You’re affirming or wishing for something positive or good to happen and letting go of the unwanted things each and every month. It’s a knot spell and a pretty basic one at that, but the power of this spell, the real strength of it, happens at the end of the year.
- Three strands of thread or string, any color (see notes)
- A place to leave the braids all year long, undisturbed
- A fire with an appropriate fire-proof /burning vessel
At the beginning of the year, start this spell. Then do the spell at the end of each month. At the end of the year, you should have 13 separate braids.
First cut three equal pieces of string or thread. As said, it can be any color, but you should probably aim for the length of each piece of string to be at least from your wrist to your elbow in length. It will mean more braiding, but it helps at the end of the year part of this spell to have the extra length.
Now, pick one string and name it the things you’d like to see continue or grow in your life. Pick another strand and name is something you’d like to let go of or release from your life. The last string should be a wish you’d like to see happen. Braid these three strands together, repeating the names of each string as you cross them.
Example: The first string is to grow your wealth, the second string is to release debts, and the third string is to save enough to visit a relative during the year. Cross the grow your wealth string over the releasing debts string, saying each of these as you cross them. Then cross the saving money string over the new middle string, the grow your wealth string. Repeat this pattern, saying each as you move the string.
When done, knot the top and bottom of the braid, if you haven’t already done so, and put the braid somewhere safe.
Do this near the end of each month, including January. (So you’ll be making two for January, and one for each month of the rest of the year). Each month, start a new braid and you can use the same string names or new ones. (So each braid can have different spells on it). Save each braid in the same spot.
At the end of the year, after you make the final braid of December, braid all of the braids together. You can look up a thirteen strand braid, if you like, but it’s complicated. You want to avoid adding your frustrating to the spell while you’re casting it, so I recommend skip the fancy braid. Instead, you can braid three months together and then braid those groups together until you have one braid. Or you can simply separate the braids into three groups and braid them all together. It’s up to you, just pick something that’s easy enough for you to do.
As you braid the final large braid, you may wish to repeat the wishes and things you’d like to grow. You could even add new things to that final final, if you like.
Once the braid is done, you may not be able to knot the ends of it. That’s OK. Instead, you can take new pieces of string and tie the top and bottom off instead.
Now get your fire going and toss the braid into the flame and say,
“What I wish to grow, will continue to grow.
What I wish to fade, will burn to ash.
What I wish for, this fire will create it true.”
The wishes and things you’d like to grow will be passed on and the things you’ve let go will disperse.
- You can choose any color you’d like for the string. Ideally, one string of each braid should be green (for what you’d like to grow), one should be black, gray, dark blue, or white (for what you’d like released), and one should be silver, gold, or red (for the wish), but it’s not required at all.
- Practice your braiding before starting the spell, if you aren’t very good at it. The braid’s neatness doesn’t matter much month-to-month, but the final braid can get messy quick if you’re not a skilled hand.
- Because there’s quite a bit of string involved during the burning part of this spell, make sure that you have a safe space to burn the braid and time to properly monitor the fire.
- If you find that you wished for something one month and discovered you don’t want that at the end of the year, you can say that as you make the braid at the end of the year.