I think everyone writes lists like this, don’t they? You’ve probably seen a million of them in the last few days alone. Hopefully, this list gets you reaching for your wand and inspires you to magic up a better year for yourself and your loved ones.
- Pick a piece of artwork you’d like to embody this year. This can be a classical painting, your own work, a favorite piece from an artist you’re a fan of, or a card from a tarot or oracle deck. You can tuck this image nearby the place you spend a lot of time in (your desk, at your bathroom mirror, on the fridge, by the front door), to remind you what you’re shooting for.
- Banish the spiritual funk by combining orange slices, lemon slices, and a few sprigs of rosemary in a pot of water and let simmer. Add new water to the pot every 20-30 minutes to keep the good, uplifting, and cleansing scents going.
- Make a magical dedication each and every month or season to something new. These short term goals can be totally mundane or completely magic based. Maybe you just want to complete one online challenge that you really liked to flesh out your magical path or you’re dedicated to eating breakfast everyday. Write this goal each month or season and post them on the fridge or somewhere else prominent that you’ll see. Even a post it on your computer screen will do. As you write out this promise to yourself, say the words, and infuse energy and magic into it. Make that promise, that dedication, important and see what kind of changes you can bring about.
- Gift yourself some flowers or a plant. In January, especially in the cooler parts of the world, you don’t see much plant-life. This can be extremely discouraging, even if you’re not fond of plants. Having a bright bit of green or color in a colorless or dull landscape can really brighten your day.
- Enchant your phone, keys, remotes, wireless bits and bobs, and assorted other essentials with a “never lose, never break” sort of enchanted. This can be done anyway you’d like – sigils, verbal spell, enchanted water, etc. This is a really “of course I should do this” spell that a lot of people forget to do.
- Go through your ingredients. I do this every January and July. I go through my herbs, my stones, my jars, my equipment, my books, and anything else and weed through it all. Some things I give away or donate. Other things I might toss or recycle, like herbs. Equipment like magic spoons or cast iron are thoroughly cleaned and cared for. Glass jars are boiled and dried, their metal tops checked for rust. You get the idea. Weed through your stuff and see what you’ve been holding onto.
- Write a list of things you want to happen this year. Be as vague or as specific as you’d like. You can do this with special paper and enchanted ink or you can send an email to yourself. However you’d like to do it. This list is a to do list. It’s a wish list. Write it down and just let your mind wander when writing it. This is a form of automatic writing, just letting your brain spit out what it thinks you need this year. When done, tuck it away. You can go back to look over it at the end of the year or you can simply leave it tucked in the back of a draw.
- Charge your crystals and other witchy goodies.
- Make a sigil for the new year. Write out your new year’s resolution or wishes for the year and turn that into a sigil to use however you see fit.
- Plants some seeds. Literally, get some seeds and plant them. This can be as simple as a pack of sunflower seeds. Each month, plant the seed and make a wish on the seed as you plant it. This gives you new plant friends, but also allows your wish to grow.
- Enchant or re-enchant your lotions, sunscreen, make-up, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, and other skin and body care goodies. If you haven’t already done this, then it’s a great thing to do. If you have, then take some time to renew the spell.
- Create a wish jar. Every time you have a wish, place a slip of paper in the jar. At the end of the year, you can empty out the jar and go through all the wishes you’ve made and see what has come true.
- Renew your household and personal protections. The new year makes a really good time to remember to do this.
- Cleanse your space. Cleaning it too helps, but remember to cleanse it.
- Renew your spells on clothing, jewelry, shoes, and other things you wear. You can also enchant your laundry detergent to do these spells for you and thus renewing the spells with each washing.
- Plan to go somewhere magical this year. This could be making a trek somewhere known to be powerful, like Stonehenge. Or it may be hiking up to a local spot where some ghost story happened. Or it could be going on a ghost tour in your own city.
- Keep a list of things you felt, dreamed, or intuited. This can be done in your grimoire or in a journal. This practice is also used by psychics and those wishing to increase their psychicism to hone their accuracy.
- Make a list of topic books you’d like to read this year. Focus on the things that you’re really interested to read about and things you want to research. You want to know more about Persphone? Then it may be time to brush up on some mythology. You want to get better at tarot card reading, then skim through the very many tarot card books out there. You don’t have to buy these books, your library may be able to loan them to you (in person or digitally) or you can borrow them from a friend.
- Make a list of spells you’d like to cast, things to try, or things to make this year. Maybe you want to try a new form of divination or you want to attempt making a potion this year. Or maybe you just really want to make a very pretty altar. Make this list and refer to it every time you want to do something witchy, but you’re not sure what.
Hopefully, some of these ideas inspire or remind you of what you wanted to do this year! Happy 2019!