The astral worlds are not a free-for-all. Not all of them at least. Anyone who has dealt with the fae are definitely aware of this but many other places outside of fairylands have rulers that hold territory. Knowing you’re in someone’s territory can be tricky and knowing where those territories begin and end, especially because they change all the time, is a full time job. My best advice is to assume you’re trespassing and be polite as possible if confronted (and run away if you need to).
But there’s another territory to think about. Another weird thing that can happen. Sometimes the astral spirit worlds and the physical worlds mesh together.
Sometimes you step into a place here in the physical world and you think, “oh crap, this is connected to the spirit worlds, somewhere”. You might even feel unsafe and need to hightail it out of there. And other times it’s the best place ever to meditate and be safe.
This is one of things that you’ll know if you’ve experienced it because it’s often a defining moment for you. One you’ll remember. It’s also similar to fairy tales and legends of wild hunts and faerie proceedings.
What are the signs?
There are numerous signs that indicate that a particular area is experiencing a merging or an overlap. Some of the signs appear for other things like a psychic attack so be aware of that possibility and look for multiple indications that the spirit world is overlapping into the physical world.
As always, if you feel like you’re being hunted, stalked, or in danger, leave the area immediately and go to a safe place where you can calm down, ground and center yourself, and get something re-energizing to eat.
- A weird energy signature
- An immensely powerful energy
- Feeling yourself being drained of energy
- Feeling your energy hum
- Feeling an increase in energy, like adrenaline, but is likely difficult to control
- Pressure in your head or body, especially forehead
- Surge of emotions, images, sounds, or smells out of nowhere that are not your own
- Hearing voices or music or sounds without a discernible source
- Smelling scents that are out of place and without a discernible source
- A sense of flightiness or lack of control like intoxication
- A feeling of dream-like fog
- Feeling of being small or in front of something large
- Being overwhelmed emotionally or spiritually, like a wave overtaking you
- A feeling of open-ness in a small that should not feel that open
- A feeling of disconnect, like watching yourself do something outside of your body
- Feeling watched or not alone
- The feeling of immediate danger
- Time is working too slowly, too quickly, or you seem to be out of time
- Becoming lost in the physical space
- Objects, pathways, walls, and other things seem to move or become blocked when they weren’t moments before
What triggers these connections?
Spirit worlds connecting to physical worlds can happen in any number of ways. These connections are not permanent and some will disappear even a few hours after it appears. You can remove a connection with enough time, effort, and energy but it would be a hard-won fight.
Anywhere can be connected at any point in time to the spirit worlds but it often happens when no where is there and therefore there isn’t conflicting energy. Or they are areas with lots of potential but nothing happened. Or they’re areas of high energy. Liminal places, like crossroads, rest stops, buildings with lots of empty hallways (schools, offices, abandoned buildings), and bridges are common targets as well. Any place you’d expect spirit activity is particular susceptible to this kind of phenomena.
These are a few ways that the spirit worlds and physical world can become connected. Keep in mind, these aren’t the only ways and not every method will works for every area. Some places seem more susceptible to certain methods than others, likely due to energy reasons.
- A land spirit makes the connection or holds significant power in that place
- It’s a height of power and energy for some reason and thus easily accessible to spirits
- A human dreams or recreates that space in the spirit world
- They are so similar of places in looks, energy, or history that they merge for unknown reasons
- Spirits gather there for unknown or multitude of reasons, thus making the physical world more like a spirit world.
- A practitioner connects them for easy access to the spirit world
- A practitioner has cast a lot of energy or spells recently or invoked a spirit, opening the way for this sort of thing
- There’s been a wild hunt style procession recently through that area
- Construction, death, powerful emotions, trauma, or other events can cause havoc, not unlike ghosts getting riled up during a home remodeling.
What to do
What you can do with an area that is connected to the spirit worlds is up to you. I recommend leave it alone. It’s probably not hurting anyone (except you might see a rise of headaches and emotions in that place) and it will often go away on it’s own. As mentioned above, you can try to get rid of the area but you must be very sure of yourself and your ability to manipulate the spirit energy in order to do this properly. You can patrol or guard the area, making it sacred, and thus keeping outsiders from going into it.
Most of the time, if you leave the area (and spirits inside the area) alone, they’ll leave you alone. They’re essentially just visiting. However, if the spirits begin to get aggressive, you may want to step up and remind them that while the area IS theirs, most humans cannot see or sense them and therefore do not know to stay away. You could even banish them from this realm, leaving the territory connected or go ahead and sever the connection. Whether you do not this or not is up you. It’s personal choice.
As for myself, I typically leave spirit connected areas alone. I might go and remind aggressive spirits to play nice or I’ll have do something about them but most often, I leave them alone. So long as they’re not actively hunting humans, I have no problems with them. I find such areas a delight to visit because I truly love the spirit worlds and knowing I can connect to them here in the physical world at times is something I find absolutely amazing.