Happy Halloween! Happy Samhain!
I hope you have some amazing plans this Halloween! I don’t personally celebrate Samhain but Halloween is my household’s favorite holiday, hands down. We have as much stuff to decorate for Halloween as we do Yule and it’s not enough.
I’m having a pretty low-key holiday myself. A fabulous witchy dress and hat, of course, but otherwise it’ll be filled with baking, some woo stuff, and passing out candy. It’s sort of a relief to have a quiet holiday. It’s been a crazy couple months and I just got back from a work vacation this weekend. I’m actually super happy to simply have electricity as many people nearby don’t.
Side story: I thank the dead for the fact that I usually have power when my neighborhood doesn’t. My house is, for some reason, on the same power grid as the funeral home across the street and no one else is? So while our power flickered, we didn’t lose it despite the massive storm that took out power for a good portion of our city.
Anyway, what I love about blogging around this time is EVERYONE is posting about spirits. It’s great. I can pick up all sorts of new tips and folklore that way. It’s also prime time for magical rituals and spells. This roundup guide offers tips, tricks, and links on what you can do to to make your night a little more magical.
Before you start
Before you get started with your spooky or woo related shenanigans, there’s probably some steps you need to take. My top seven tips and tricks for making contact or dealing with serious spell casting follow.
- Make a snack or meal to consume after your working. Carb-y food or sugar-y food is ideal. I typically grab a thick slice of hearty bread or some pasta when I need carbs and a big bowl of fruit and chocolate bits when I need sugar. Make both ahead of time.
- Drink water on hand. Getting thirsty during a working is the worst, especially if you’re chanting. Be well-hydrated before you start and make sure you hydrate afterwards. If you’re using alcohol to induce a trance, make sure you have water on hand after your session to hydrate.
- If it gets weird, get out. If you’re ghost hunting, contacting a spirit, or any other activity, you can probably leave right away. Thank any spirits for their attention and get out. If you’re in the middle of a spell, quickly but thoroughly finish it and leave the area immediately. Drink some water, take a bath, cleanse yourself, then go do something totally and completely mundane.
- Trance safely. Before you use any entheogens, psychedelics, or other trancing method, make sure that you write down what you’re taking and how much. Write down why you’re taking it. Leave a small sample of the consumable along with these notes. This allows emergency medical services to treat you quickly and accordingly if something goes wrong. It also allows you to recreate the circumstances again if you have a good experience that you want to replicate.
- Don’t go alone. If you’re doing an outside ritual, traveling, or ghost hunting, go with someone else. Bring a friend who can chill while you do your thing nearby if they’re not willing to lend a hand. Solitude more of your thing? Then make sure to text a friend where you’re going or when you’ve left. There’s a lot of people out there on Halloween and accidents are very common. Be safe.
- Practice fire safety. Candle magic is incredibly popular and common. However, practitioners can get carried away. Make sure that you’re practicing fire safety. If you have more than 5-7 candles going at once, keep a fire extinguisher or similar items on hand.
- Keep pets indoors. This is more of a Halloween-centric tip than a general one but with so many people out and about on Halloween, it’s a really good idea to keep your pets indoors during this time. I recommend keeping pets inside during outdoor rituals anyway – a dog barking during your chant can really break the mood.
Following those tips can help you out immensely, especially if things get weird and/or powerful. Another good idea is to go armed with lots of information. Here’s a bunch of posts that can help. I’ve also added some posts geared towards “new year” because for some people, they start or end their magical year on Samhain.
Protecting yourself from dangers while cast spells or contacting spirits is important – but it can also be a hindrance. If you’re protected from spirits, then spirits will have a more difficult time communicating with you.
I do recommend protection spells but it’s not a requirement. I don’t use them on myself personally 99% of the time and never when I’m working with spirits or casting spells unless I feel like I’m in danger from something. But, uh, I’m reckless so it’s probably best to not be me and to cast some protection spells before you go out and about with your shenanigans tonight.
Getting in touch with a spirit
Getting in touch with spirits can be difficult, especially if you’re not use to it. Samhain often is said to be a thinning of the veil between the spirit realms and the physical world. While the veil between the worlds happens multiple times a year, this one’s pretty consistent.
The following posts should give you some tips to make contact to a wide variety of spirits and beings. They’ll also help you have a good experience and offer some pretty good advice too.
Spells to cast
You can cast any spell you want any time you want, according to my practice. Here’s a good long list of spells you can give a try.
- 5 Love Divinations to Reveal Your Sweetheart – Five different techniques so you can see who is your next lover or soul mate.
- Apple Spell for Love – A simple spell for love with a singular ingredient: a red apple.
- Attract Affection and Romance Jar Spell (Spell Saturday #16) – A spell jar for attraction romance, friendship, and affection into your life.
- A Spell for Courage And Wonders (Spell Saturday #33) – Inspired by The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland On A Ship of Her Own Making, this spell is great for people who are starting new ventures and want some courage and wonders along the way.
- Basil, King of Herbs, Continuous Money Spell (Spell Saturday #4) – A gardening spell that can be used to boost your financial growth for the length of the plant’s life.
- Be Brave (Spell Saturday #24) – An elemental spell to gather courage and strength.
- Begin Again (Spell Saturday #28) – A spell and ritual that gives you a fresh, new start. We all need to hit the reset button sometimes.
- Candle Spell (7) Money Growth (Spell Saturday #1) – To grow your money and reach a monetary goal using basil.
- Cash & Fortune Money Spell (Spell Saturday #36) – A money spell to bring cash and good financial fortune to you quickly.
- Doll Spell For Employment (Spell Saturday #26) – A poppet spell to gain employment at a certain location or company.
- Enchanting Objects for Second Sight – A how to for enchanting objects to give you second sight or see what lies beyond physical sight. May increase what your eyes physically see but will also allow you to “see” and sense things within your mind’s eye.
- Eyes of Truth (Spell Saturday #59) – A spell to increase your ability for second sight and to see what lies beyond physical sight. May allow you to physically see things with your eyes but will also allow you to “see” things within your mind’s eye.
- Fire Guardian (Spell Saturday #21) – A spell to create a fire guardian servitor and magical construct. Can also be used to meet a fire-based spirit guide.
- Forge Through the Fire (Spell Saturday #50) – A spell that is something of a kick in the butt; allows you to stop procrastinating and makes you go do the thing already.
- Foundations of a Happy Home (Spell Saturday #37) – A spell to place at the foundations of your home to bring blessings and happiness.
- Friendship Candle Spell (Spell Saturday #56) – A simple candle spell to draw new friends to you.
- Friendship Knot Spell (Spell Saturday #45) – A knot spell to bring more friends into your life.
- Good Luck Knot Spell (Spell Saturday #8) – A simple knot spell that can be used anywhere to increase your luck.
- Happy Home Jar Spell (Spell Saturday #10) – A jar spell to keep the peace and bring happiness and unity to a household. Great for the holiday season.
- Home’s Energy Dedication Spell (Spell Saturday #54) – A spell to dedicate your home’s energy to a particular emotion or atmosphere, such as happiness or peace.
- I Want to Go There Spell (Spell Saturday #41) – A spell to create opportunities to travel to a specific destination or event.
- Invisibility Glamour Spell (Spell Saturday #22) – Sometimes you just need to not be seen by people. A glamour’s the solution for a little invisibility.
- Item Summoning (Spell Saturday #11) (tumblr repost) – A simple summoning spell that can be used for lost items or to bring new items into your life.
- Know What You’ve Done (Spell Saturday #27) – A spell bordering on a curse so someone knows the reality of what they’ve done.
- Love By the Moon Spell (Spell Saturday #18) – A love spell to bring you a potential lover by the next full moon.
- Modern Check Money Spell (Spell Saturday #55) – An updated version of the classic ‘write a check to yourself’ money spell. Because when’s the last time you wrote a check?
- Money Spell via Spirits (Spell Saturday #17) – A spell to ask spirits of the local crossroads to bring more money to you immediately and reduce debt.
- Personal Party Boost Spell (Spell Saturday #23) – Ever go to an event that you don’t want to go to? Ever have to attend a party that’s going to suck and you know you’ll feel awkward at? Or join a conference for work only to realize that it’s boring? This is the spell to ensure you have a good time on your terms.
- A Petition Ritual For the New Year (Spell Saturday #39) – An all purpose spell that petitions the elements to bring your desires to fruition in the new year.
- Sand Trap Spell [adapted] (Spell Saturday #9) – A jar spell that can be used to “trap” energy. Adapted extensively from Scott Cunningham.
- Silence That Tongue (Spell Saturday #12) – An easy enchantment that can be done anywhere and can be used to silence that vile person speaking.
- Tarot Emulation Attraction Spell – Ever look at a tarot card and think “I wish I could be like this card?” Here’s how you can make that happen with a glamour spell.
- Think of Me (Spell Saturday #44) – A spell to have someone think of you, whether a friend, lover, or anyone else.
- Wish Bringer, Bring Me A Wish (Spell Saturday #47) – An all-purpose spell for wishes and dreams.
- Wishing Stone (Spell Saturday #40) – A simple crystal spell to manifest long-term goals, dreams, and wishes.
Cleansing yourself after powerful magic or spirit contact is recommended but, again, not a requirement. I often recommend it especially if you’re dealing with multiple energies, like doing group tarot card readings or going to a haunted place with many spirits. It’s also just a good idea in general.
A Cleansing Ritual For House & Home (Spell Saturday #35) – A walking cleansing ritual for your house and physical spaces.
The Curse & Blessing of the Sun (Spell Saturday #49) – A spell that can be used as a curse or as a blessing, using the power of the sun.
Cleansing & Cleaning 101 – Because cleaning is a form of cleansing too!
Cleansing Yourself – Post on various methods to cleanse yourself from baneful energy, static energy, or other unwanted things.
Crown’s “Fuck All the Things!” Cleansing and Banishment [tumblr repost] (Spell Saturday #14) – Two spell variations used for cleansing and banishing both spirits and humans.
Simple Water Glass Cleansing for the Witch on the Run – A very simple but effective way to calm and cleanse the self with just a glass of water.
Uncrossing Oneself – Sometimes we repeat baneful or static patterns that are harmful to ourselves. Uncrossing is breaking that cycle.
Whew! That was a lot of links. I should be back to regular blogging in November. My burn out has abated so I’m back to writing, full-steam ahead. Which is good because NaNoWriMo is less than 24 hours away.
Speaking of writing, if you haven’t, go pick up my novel Spirit Walker. It’s about astral travel and revenge.
One last thing before I let you get back to your candy and binge-watching Hocus Pocus, This Crooked Crown is having a 10% off flash sale. Today (10/31) only. All readings and items in the shop are on sale, including the new reading Taming Your Inner Demons.
Happy Halloween & Samhain!